We hope everyone enjoys a wonderful holiday season with family and friends this year. This season is a wonderful time of the year, but too often holiday fires spoil the fun for all. Here are a few common sense safety reminders to make sure your holidays are as safe as they are enjoyable:
• Do not overload extension cords
• Do not place extension cords close to heat sources
• Use of candles, do not leave unattended or leave candles by open windows
• Water live trees frequently
Safe cooking tips:
Be on alert! Don’t cook if you are sleepy or intoxicated.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
• If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly.
• Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stove top.
If you have a small (grease) cooking fire and decide to fight the fire…
• On the stove top, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire…
• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
• Immediately call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number from outside the home.
• Always call the Lake Shore Doorman to report the incident.
Remember — Building fire escapes are for emergency use only. Please, no smoking on the escapes, no food storage or other unauthorized use. The fire escapes must be free and clear of all objects and people. Fire escape doors should remain closed at all times.